Extended Warranties | Service Contracts
Despite what you might have read, Extended Warranties or Vehicle Service Contracts, as they are actually known, are a good idea. Even the best cars break down and when they do, they are very expensive to repair.
What is an Extended Warranty/Service Contract?
Why purchase an Extended Warranty/Service Contract?
- A contract purchased to protect a vehicle against the unexpected costs of breakdowns, for a specific period of time.
- Allows repairs to be made in accordance with the level of coverage you purchase.
- Ensures your vehicle is always in the best mechanical condition.
- Peace of mind
- Allows repairs to be made when you need them
- Most include a Free Rental Car if your car is in the shop for covered repairs
- Protects you against the rising costs of repairs
- Added resale value- most contracts are transferable upon sale
What to look for when purchasing an Extended Warranty
- True Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage- if the plan lists the items that are covered, it is NOT a bumper-to-bumper plan. By definition, a bumper to bumper plan is exclusionary, that is, it will only list the few components that are not covered. Typically these include cosmetic and maintenance items.
- Wear and Tear Protection- This means that you are covered for parts that break as well as those that wear out. All covered parts in a policy should include a "wear and tear" provision. A lot of plans have wear and tear exclusions, such as struts, piston rings, valves or other expensive components that wear out and will not be covered. Beware of "Mechanical Breakdown" plans, they often have wear-and-tear exclusions, thus offering you less coverage.
- Overheating- Look for a plan that does NOT exclude damage due to overheating.
- Roadside Assistance- You want a plan that offers a Free nationwide Roadside Assistance plan. You want to be covered per occurrence. Not an out of pocket reimbursement plan, that is tied to only covered repairs. A good policy includes:
- Emergency Road Service
- Mechanical First Aid
- Emergency Tire Service
- Battery Assistance
- Gasoline Delivery
- Fluid Delivery
- Emergency Lock-out Service
- Nationwide Coverage
- Toll Free 800 Number
- 24 Hours a Day/365 Days a Year
- Car Rental- Should your vehicle have to remain overnight for a covered repair.
- Trip Interruption- Should your vehicle become disabled more than 100 miles away from home and the repair is covered under your contract, reimbursement for lodging and meals.
- Nationwide Protection- Repairs can be made at any repair facility in the US or Canada.
- Choice of Deductibles- Most automobile plans offer $0, $50 and $100 deductible options.
- Renewals- A plan that may be renewed for continuous one-year terms for as long as you own your vehicle.
- Transferable- The ability to transfer your coverage when you sell your vehicle, for a modest fee, which will increase your vehicle's resale value.
The reason we recommend Warranty Direct is because it offers the broadest and most comprehensive coverages available, that include all of the above.
Direct is the nation's leading direct marketer of extended warranties covering
motorcycles, automobiles, light trucks, recreational vehicles, boats and
more. When you buy from them, you are buying from the source and eliminating
the middlemen and additional markups. You pay below retail prices and save
up to 60% over what others charge.
Direct, Inc., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Interstate National Dealer
Services, Inc. (NASDAQ:ISTN), one of the nation's largest vehicle warranty
and service contract firms. When looking at extended warranty companies,
financial stability should be of the utmost importance; after all, you
will need them to be there down the road to pay your claims. Interstate
National Dealer Services has been named to the Forbes Magazine list of
the "Top 200 Small Public Companies in America" THREE years in a row. Having
sold and administered over 1,000,000 warranties, no other company can match
their longevity, financial stability and reliability.
For more information
or for a policy quote please click here.